Skip to main content

Living the dream: Let's Play Link's Awakening!

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening was and is one of the best games of all time. Back in July 2013 when I started this LP, I set out to make if not one of the best LPs of all time, at least a personal best. I think it turned out pretty well, but it took me a while - I didn't finish until September 2018. There were a few factors in this, partly events in my personal life reducing the time I had to waste on let's plays, partly my ridiculous working method meaning each update took forever to make. In 2013 I was assembling my GIFs from hundreds of screenshots, and doing the whole project on a laptop whose touchpad, limited keyboard, and inadequate screen resolution made everything more difficult than it needed to be.

Parts 1 through 9 took me from July 2013 until March 2014 to finish (about eight months), after which I took a long break from let's plays. Then in early 2018 I did a few smaller LP projects before picking Link's Awakening back up in July and completing parts 10 through 25 by September (about two months).


Table of contents:

Intro: Link's Unconsciousness

Part 1: Link's Awakening

Part 2: Link's Violence

Part 3: Link's Mystery

Part 4: Link's Tale

Part 5: Link's Rescue

Part 6: Link's Walk

Part 7: Link's Bottle

Part 8: Link's Enrichment

Part 9: Link's Castle

Part 10: Link's Counterrevolution

Part 11: Link's Key

Part 12: Link's Ocarina

Part 13: Link's Date

Part 14: Link's Desert

Part 15: Link's Angle

Part 16: Link's Ghost

Part 17: Link's Necklace

Part 18: Link's Maw

Part 19: Link's Grapple

Part 20: Link's Face

Part 21: Link's Rooster

Part 22: Link's Tower

Part 23: Link's Help

Part 24: Link's Turtle

Part 25: Link's Awakening

Extra: Post Game Post


Side updates: Percy's Awakening
Part A: Percy's Awakening
Part B: Percy's Irresponsibility
Part C: Percy's Theft
Part D: Percy's Escape


Partway through the LP, someone asked why I was playing the original version instead of the GBC port, Link's Awakening DX. My answers:
I had the original as a kid, basically. The colourised version doesn’t look right to me.

Plus it would probably blow out the file size of the gifs.
And:
I haven’t played DX so I may have it all wrong, but Link’s Awakening is a game that does so much with so little. Adding colour seems like gilding the lily.

And I stand by them. It's a great game, I hope you like my LP.

Comments