Skip to main content

Let's Play Link's Awakening, part 23: Link's Help



Here we are outside of the Tower. The Flying Rooster has sadly disappeared somewhere, so Link is on his own again. My destination today is the flamethrower I couldn't get past before, and whatever is beyond it.



I jump down from the mountain and take the teleporter to the Animal Village and then to Mabe Village. So far as I can see, nothing has changed in either location. I stop through the Flying Rooster's burial chamber to see if it's come back, but it's not there. So I use Manbo's Mambo to get back to Tracey's place for a top up of revival potion.



Wooo! Finally! This flying rooster is the greatest!

Turns out the Chicken Man has taken the rooster. So far as I can tell, I can't get it back.



At least he's having a good time.



As I continue towards the flamethrower, I come across a familiar face.



Somebody, HELP!

Hey! Link! Some monsters put me up here! What should I do?! I'm afraid of heights!!


Why would monsters strand Marin up here? Regardless, there's only one thing to do:



Link uses the Hook Shot to cross the gap, taking Marin with him.



Marin pauses for a moment before speaking further. Clearly, something is on her mind.



Uhh... I don't know how to say this... but...

Before she can figure out what to say:



Hunh?! Tarin??! ... ... ... ... Uh... Nevermind, I... I gotta go!

Tarin shows up, and the moment is lost. Whatever Marin had to say will have to wait.



Tarin leaves, and with a look back at Link, Marin follows.



Hoot! That girl sang her song in front of the Egg! Her 'Ballad of the Wind Fish' is a song of awakening! Did she actually intend to wake the Wind Fish?!

The next Sirens' Instrument is in the west. Play your melodies so the unliving stones might hear! Show your courage! The Wind Fish waits for you! Hoot!


The owl shows up again. It seems to disapprove of Marin trying to wake the Fish, despite encouraging Link to do the same. I guess the monsters took Marin here to stop her waking the fish.

I think this might be the first time the Sirens' Instruments are named as such. My to-do list just calls them "instruments" because I couldn't find the proper name for them.



I carry on through the mountains. I lose some health to falling rocks along the way. In the abscence of my shovel, my best chance for health drops comes from picking up rocks, which I do at the mountain top, revealing a hidden passage and another encounter with a capacity-doubling demon. I can now carry more arrows! I must have missed picking this rock up last time I was here.



I put my new quiver to use, then carry on to the flamethrower chamber. Let's see how the Mirror Shield performs:



I think it is fair to say that it performs admirably.



'BRRING! BRRING! Hi, it's Ulrira! The head of the turtle is in your way? Put life into it and it will move! It's true! True! Bye! CLICK!'

Exiting the cave brings me to the other side of the cracked rock that blocked my passage earlier. Carrying on, Ulrira's clue comes a bit early, since the phone booth is on the screen before the turtle head he talks about, but the tip is pretty clear. I reach a dead end with what looks like a turtle's face on the next screen. It's time to break out the Ocarina.



I play the Frog's Song of Soul and the head comes to life.



Briefly. Ethically speaking, I should probably have given diplomacy a chance or at least waited for it to strike first before killing it.



I enter the hole where its neck used to be and find myself in Level 8-- Turtle Rock. I guess this is inside the turtle's body?

Next Time:
Level 8-- Turtle Rock

Map:



It's close to complete now.

To-Do:
  • Find a way to get past cracked (but non-explodable) rocks.
    -Get past the cracked rock north of the phone booth near Write's place.
    -Get past the cracked rocks on Mt Tamaranch.
    -Get past the cracked rocks on the mountains east of Mt Tamaranch.
    -Get past the cracked rock blocking the cave entrance at the peak of the western Tal Tals.
    -Get past the cracked rocks just east of the Stone Turtle in the mountains.
  • Poke suspicious walls with the sword.
  • Find a demon to double my arrow carrying capacity.
  • Get past the flamethrower in the cave in the western Tal Tals.
    -Try the L-2 Shield.
  • Rescue Marin from being stranded on the mountain bridge.
  • Explore Turtle Rock.
  • Go right four times, then up four times, in the passageways of the Egg.
  • Find the eight Sirens' Instruments.
    -Find the Full Moon Cello.
    -Find the Conch Horn.
    -Find the Sea Lily's Bell.
    -Find the Surf Harp.
    -Find the Wind Marimba.
    -Find the Coral Triangle.
    -Find the Organ of Evening Calm.
    -Find the remaining Sirens' Instrument.
  • Play the eight Sirens' Instruments in front of the Wind Fish Egg.
    -Wake the Wind Fish.
  • Get off the island, I guess?

Comments