Skip to main content

Let's Play Psycho World (MSX) World 6 - Sewer World

Images behind "Click to reveal" in this update feature bright flashing.



Here we are in world six - the sewers. Hey, I can't move! What's happening?

The world goes dark and Lucia goes yellow. Looks like her ESP abilities are locked, too! Am I restricted to Psy-cannon?

Whoa!

Lucia hasn't powered down, she's powered up! I don't even have to aim! I guess this follows on from the cutscene, and is her anger and determination showing through.



It's a nice looking sewer, but it quickly comes to a dead end. What now?

Where else to go but down? Through a hole in the floor underwater in a sewer. Gross.



It leads to another sewer chamber, which Lucia's powered up state allows her to clear easily.

The challenge level has really taken a dive in this world.



Carrying on Lucia reaches an underwater tunnel.



Apparently she can breathe underwater. ESP something something. This pipe has a current flowing through the middle, which is why Lucia moves backwards as she falls.



That's not a door at the left.

Suddenly, with one final screen-clearing shot, Lucia's abilities return to normal. Aww. Luckily she still seems to be able to breathe underwater.



This ol' pipe seems to be suffering from calcification.



The game switches from horizontal to vertical scrolling and back.



Lucia exits the pipe onto dry ground and carries on.



Climbing the ladder takes us to a room without water and some enemies who drop full HP/ESP refills. Which I promptly start losing to the flying enemy.



I take the high ground, missing out on the points bonus in the last panel.



A midboss! It seems to be a knight in armour with a sword, kind of out of place in this game.



There's a short corridor...



And another knight. It seems to only take damage when hit from behind. Not very chivalrous, Lucia!



Another short corridor.



Lucia goes through a door...



And back into the sewers. Up the ladder...



The boss! A flying demon, it doesn't even drop anything when it dies. Is that it?



It is! World 6 is short and sweet, with nice backgrounds and minimal challenge, especially at the start. If you rush it, you can make it almost to the boss while still powered up (maybe all the way? I've only made a couple of attempts). It's got an interstitial feel to it.

Next time:



Factory



This is an ESP amplifier. Use it and read this bonus material!!



゛んばり まっす
゛nbari Massu

Lucia remains in high spirits.



からだが
Karadaga

Google gives this as "From there", but split off the ga from the rest and it becomes "The body", which would make sense given Lucia's about to power up. Maybe "My body"? It's also possible there are more characters cut off by the edge of the screen.
Sensenic:
"Karada ga" is an incomplete sentence, basically "My body is...", as in "my body is acting strange" or similar. And before she can finish it, bam! She gets woke.



もとにもど っ ちゃったあー!
Motonimodo tsu Chattaaa!
That was awesoooome!/Back to normaaaal!

Google gives a few different things for this. Putting it in as above gives "I also got it". Uh huh. I think the あー at the end is supposed to be an enthusiastic prolonged shout, so I dropped that, giving "I got it back". Mmm-hm. I don't think the small tsu is supposed to be used on its own, so I dropped the gap between it and the ち to get "It was awesome", which it was. Or, dropping all the spaces, we get "Moto ni modotchatta", "I returned to the original". Given this comes up just after returning to Lucia's original state, that's probably right, though the exclamation mark supports the "awesome" version.
Sensenic:
"Back to normal", with the "chatta" there implying a bit of lament, as in "Aw, back to normal."



I tried using Cooling Down to make the lower enemies into a platform to attack the upper one. It worked, but it wasn't really worth the bother.



やったあ !
Yattaa!
I did it!

No pre-boss chatter here, which is disappointing, but at least we get a yattaa at the end.


I went back and tried to rush through the level to see if I could reach the boss while powered up, and in the process I realised that Super Lucia doesn't take any damage. As far as reaching the boss goes, the furthest I got before powering down was to the second midboss. It might be possible to play more optimally and make it there, but I haven't done it.



On one attempt I noticed something I missed in the level: A ladder in the third area. Climbing up leads to another knight enemy.


They aren't particularly hard to begin with, but with Super Lucia it's a cakewalk. It doesn't drop anything, but it does give enough points to take my score over a 10,000 multiple, refilling Lucia's ESP.

That's it for today!

Comments