Skip to main content

Cecile, I'll Certainly Save You... Let's Play Psycho World (MSX) - Intro

OK, how do I start this thing?



Right, there we go...



"Cannot execute a BASIC ROM"? Is this gonna work?



I guess it will. Only one thing to do:



Come on...



Looking good!



Nice little animation...



This sounds familiar.



Doctor K. is a little more forceful in this version.



SMS version: "One day a section of the lab blew up." This version is more sinister right off the bat.



SMS version of the first panel: "Wow! What was that!"



SMS: "Hang in there, Sis. I'll save you."

Hello again, and welcome to Let's Play Psycho World, the 1988 MSX2 original version of Psychic World.



It's got a better cover than the SMS version, I'll give it that. Apparently 6800 Yen was worth about $53 US in 1988, equivalent to about $110 US today. Pricey! I wonder what it goes for now?



This floppy disc only copy on eBay (2020 comment: this was a link to a listing that doesn't seem to exist any more. Maybe it sold?) has an asking price of $900 US, so I guess it's appreciated. Yowza. For that price you want the manual at least. Geez.

This is not a game I'm very familiar with, and the MSX2 is not a computer I'm familiar with. I make no promises for the remainder of this LP. As far as I'm concerned, I've discharged my duty by finishing the SMS game. That said, I'm planning to do the whole thing, probably in a bit less detail than I did for Psychic World and aiming to highlight the differences between the versions.

Speaking of differences, the text here is slightly different from the SMS version. Psycho World was only released in Japan, in Japanese. I'm playing a fan translation. It seems like it's actually the second fan translation released for this game, which is kind of nuts. The first one, which doesn't seem to be available online anymore (though I haven't looked very hard), was done by a French guy who speaks English but had to machine translate the Japanese. Dunno how that turned out. Seems to me like they could have used the perfectly adequate SMS text, which is almost the same as this version but mostly reads better, in my opinion.

The pictures were also redrawn for the SMS, I assume because of reduced storage capacity on the cart. I mostly like the SMS ones better, but I grew up with them. The MSX versions I think are more ambitious, but don't always land so well. That said, I like some of them, like the shot of Lucia pulling on her jacket, the next panel with the inset of her face, the doorway shot, and especially the animation of her opening her eyes going to the title screen, which was pretty nice on SMS but is fantastic here.

So far I've played and taken shots of the first level, but I'm still working on some material for the bonus post for that one, so the first proper update of the MSX version will be up either in an hour or two or else sometime in the next few days. See you then!



This is an ESP amplifier. Use it and read this bonus material!!



Here's a poster that came with a later game by the same company, Hydefos. It's pretty much the same as the cover, but the text is moved around, showing Lucia's hair more clearly and covering her boots and the lightning ball in the background. Plus I guess they got MSX magazine's BHS Award for 1988, whatever that is.



Here's the back of the poster, again similar to the back cover. There are some labels that weren't there before, on the map and the first two bosses. I still don't speak Japanese, so the finer details of the differences in the text are beyond me.
Dracula:
The text above the map says something like,

"Introducing one part of Psycho World!"

The top right box points to "Pyramid," bottom middle says "Country of Ice," and the bottom left says "Lava Zone." The text next to the Chimera says "Boss of the Plains: Super Chimera G (Giant)."

Comments