Skip to main content

Let's Play Daedalian Opus, part 5

Hi gang, and welcome back! When we left off, I'd reached No.21. Although I didn't show it, I spent about a half hour trying to solve this one, to no avail. Luckily, Tablesaw is better at this than me, and I was happy to copy:



Aww yeah. Tablesaw, you are the



Right, on to #22.



This one shouldn't be too bad. There are limited options for filling in a lot of those spaces. Let's make an obvious start:



And I'm boned. No way to fill in those two squares down the bottom. I'd better figure out how to place the cross before I go any further:



Turns out there is nowhere to put the cross that leaves a solveable board. In the shot above, there are 17 empty squares above the cross. I can't fill that! In fact, everywhere I tried putting it left an impossible space above, below, or both. I had a little panic.



Then I realised that there wasn't enough space to fit all the pieces. I didn't need to place the cross!



There it is! Puzzle 22 solved! The crowd goes



!



OK, here's #23. This one looks to be a bit more devious.



So far, so bad. The problem is the two narrow corridors above and below the middle block: there are only so many pieces that'll fit into them, and putting them there tends to screw up my attempts to fill the sides.



Luckily, I get my act together. Just don't look too closely at the



it took me.



No.24 is one of those puzzles that it seems like I've solved already. Maybe the change to the blocks lining the puzzle is supposed to make it seem new?



I think I'm getting better at recognising when I'm boned. No need to lay out the last few blocks, I can tell that I can't fill these spaces with what I have left.



Another good sign is that I've solved the last two puzzles relatively quickly. Anyway, on with the



.



Here's 25. I guess it's a guy wearing a Devo hat?



It's pretty satisfying to solve a puzzle nice and quickly, and with the long block to boot! I'm feeling over the



Ain't no stopping this streak I'm on!



OK, maybe there is.

LATER:

I see nobody has had any more luck with this than I was having. What's that I say? "Was having"?



I thought I'd give it another go, and on my first attempt this happened:



I'm pretty pleased with that! Let's just forget about all the time spent on my earlier attempts. Now to continue my journey

!



Fortunately for me, this puzzle has already begun to solve itself! But will it turn out to be a ruse? Only time will tell.

That's all I've got time for tonight, see you all next time! Feel free to solve this one for me!

Next time: Part 6

Comments