Skip to main content

Let's Play Missing Bro, part 3: I question the dude's fitness to reign.



Right, we're back. Hey, where's Dina?



Oh man, finally! I'm not sure how I triggered this. I walked about, got in a few fights, and when I came back to town she was still there. Then I stayed at the inn, and she disappeared. I don't know if she only leaves after inn stays (this was probably at least my fourth stay at the inn since talking to her the first time), or if it's just random with a low chance every time you come into town. Whatever, she's gone. Let's take the stairs!



They lead to a tunnel to the northern area past the mountains.



As I enter the building, a cutscene starts.



You...reached here at last

(Witch) Who is the boy?

(Dina) A brother of the person who stayed here three years ago.

(Witch) Um..now that you mention it, he looks like the man.

(Apolo) My brother was staying here, wasn't he?

(Witch) Yes, he was learning magics from me for about a year. He could be a full-fledged wizard, if he had a little more practicing. However, he left here.

(Apolo) Do you know where he was going to go?

(Dina) He heard monsters were attacking the Alto castle. He decided to guard the castle using his magics. He left here without the sword that you have now. Since then, he never...

(Apolo) I see...Thanks so much.

(Dina) I know you are going to follow him. That's why I didn't want to tell you about him. He often told me about you and your mom. You shouldn't make your mom sad anymore.

(Apolo) Um...I know, but my mom let me go.

(Dina) ...
You'd never change your mind...
OK! I decided! I'm going to go with you. Do you stop me, grandma?

(Witch) No, whatever you want.

(Apolo) Wait! wait! I...

(Dina) I'll follow you on my own, even if you say "No".




(Apolo) Um...No.

(Witch) You are a thoughtless person...like your brother.

(Apolo) Sorry...

(Witch) There is a magical tool called LunaStone in the cave in back of my house. If you have it, you can control the tidal stream.

(Apolo) Oh, really? Thank you so much.


Our hero, ladies and gentlemen.



Phew! Here's Dina's stats. She's a few levels behind, thanks to all that time she wasted standing in her house, but that'll fix itself soon enough. She has only healing magics, and no equipment. I give her the BronzeSword I have spare.



Eat the foods on the table, if you are tired.
I saved your memory.


At this point you can't go back through the tunnel, but luckily the witch will save your game, and the foods will restore you. Like so:



Right! Now that we're fed and watered, time to find the LunaStone!



I'm not a big fan of dungeons where you can't see very far, so at this point I took a break.



Note that an hour and a half have passed. It's nice of the game to not hide the iPhone's info bar. These Red Sickle Frogs aren't much different from the green ones earlier in the game.



MaxHP: +31
MaxMP: +31
AttackP: +4
DefenseP: +24
Speed: +4


They do drop enough experience for Dina to get a level off her first battle, though.



MaxHP: +63
MaxMP:+39
AttackP: +25
DefenseP: +31
Speed: +6
Mega magic came to be usable.


So here's what this dungeon is about: another palette swap, several short dead end paths, a chest with 100G in it, and level ups. Eventually I reach the chamber you can see at the bottom of that last shot:



And that's the dungeon: A tasty and healthful puddle, and the LunaStone. I complained earlier about the low visibility, but the game makes up for it with short dungeons. Which it makes up for with a sometimes ridiculous encounter rate (several times I've gone to take a step after a fight and gotten into another one without having moved). Which it makes up for with battles that start and end in seconds.



MaxHP: +42
MaxMP: +42
AttackP: +6
DefenseP: +32
Speed: +6


Oh, did I say that the dungeon was finished? You have to make your way out first. At least it gave me time for another level up from Dina.



And some chances to try out Apolo's new Mega spell. These shots were taken over two fights because I can't get the iPhone to screenshot fast enough to capture both an attack and the damage it does. Anyway, it does reasonable damage, but usually Apolo will do about as much with his normal attacks. I think that magic can't miss though, which gives it an advantage.



The witch has nothing new to say, but she saves the game for me.



The way back is reopened. I didn't actually try to go through it before, so how Apolo knew it had been closed I don't know.



These two have new dialogue. Everyone else in town is unchanged.



I head down to the vortices and use the check command off the menu. Nothing happens. I freak out and start back towards town, thinking that the game is broken or I was supposed to talk to the witch some more or something, then I think to go back and just press towards the swirl as if I were trying to talk to it.



It works. I guess the LunaStone allows me to change the position of the moon to get tides at my own convenience?



With a new continent come new enemies. The flowers aren't really much of a threat, though.



Dina won't let me explore. I have to go north first.



This little guy's kinda cute.



I get another level just before reaching the castle.



Lots of people left here because of monsters.



He said he was confident of his magics. The king expected him to defeat monsters, but...
Oh, you are his brother, really? However...
The king says he'd never meet anyone anymore.


This doesn't sound too good.



And the King's treasure RoyalRing was stolen.
We are almost doomed.


It's never really explained what the RoyalRing does. Best as I can tell it stops the king from acting like a baby. Here he is without it:



Go away!

Yeah. Just like the soldier said, the king won't meet with me.



The price of this inn is absurd. I won't pay it!



It resore HP and MP of you all 100% at a time. I've heard I can find it in this castle, but...

I'm not sure where the MiracleHerb is, but I'd guess it's behind the king's locked door.



You'd better save your memory anytime.

This lady has a dim view of fortune-telling, for a seer.



Bbb... but I'm not scared at all.



I pick up a MagicCloth armor for Dina, since I can only afford one purchase and she's got less defence and HP. And that's all I can do in the castle for now. Maybe if I go find the king's lost RoyalRing he'll stop acting like such a baby and I'll be able to get somewhere. Presumably the monsters from the South tower took it.



Apolo's HP:219points plus

All that neglecting the inn has left me a little closer to death than I'd like to be. That Madrill might've taken me out in another couple rounds. I try out Dina's healing magic.



MaxHP: +68
MaxMP: +42
AttackP: +27
DefenseP: +34
Speed: +7


And of course I gain a level after the very next fight, restoring Apolo to full health.

Well, I'm back at the crossroads where Dina wouldn't let me go south before. Will she let me go south now? Tune in next time to find out!

Next time: Yes, obviously she does.

Comments