Skip to main content

Let's Play Missing Bro, part 1: I'll Save Your Memory



Welcome to Let's Play Missing Bro! What, you ask, is Missing Bro? According to the app store, it's "A Japanese RPG with a missing brother story". I stumbled over it and thought I'd give it a go, since it was free and had an amusing title. This'll be my second time playing the game. I have no idea if there are secrets to be found in it, or clever strategies to exploit, or whatever. There's not a whole lot of information about Missing Bro out there.



Here's the hero of the game, Apolo.



Since then nobody has seen him.
My neighbors say he has died. But I can't believe it...




Here's Apolo's home town and starting stats. I'm not sure if the town has a name. You control the game with the arrows at the bottom of the screen there. The menu button brings up a fairly standard RPG menu. You talk to people by walking into them. At level 1, I have 15/15 HP, 8/8MP, and 50 Money. I have no items, no equipment, and no spells. Might as well talk to the citizens.



Oh, there we go. This is Hast town.



You can't go through this door at the moment.



How about you?

That's a pretty harsh assessment, lady. Real sensitive.



I've got a few options at the store here, but I can't afford very much. Helpfully the shopping screen doesn't tell you how much money you have (I have 50 money). I'll leave it alone for now.



This is the save point. The English in this game isn't great, but I think it's charming fairly consistently.



SpecialHerb is very effective for restoring HP. And you can sell it at a high price. However it's too hard for me to find it, because there are lots of monsters in the forest.



A person from Kant village brought a sword as his memento.
What? You say it's not a memento?
You mean he is alive?
I understand that you want to think so, but...




Even so, nobody should do anything foolhardy. Don't follow your brother.

This game has a pretty depressing opening.



At the south end of town is a building you can't reach easily. There's a maze of trees off to the right:



Your brother is still alive.
However...
Um...I think you shouldn't know that.


The witch might have magic powers, but she doesn't know when to keep quiet. Still, it's nice to have a little support after the sadfest of the rest of the town.



One of the graves has a sword sticking out of it.



...
I decided!!
I'll leave this town with the sword that you left.
I'll find you at any cost.




Man, no wonder Apolo's Bro was a poor swordsman. His sword gives no benefit whatsoever. I equip it anyway. Time to leave town!



Oh. Right.



You also say so at last. I know I can't stop you. OK...I'll let you go. Take care of yourself. And remember, you can return anytime if you want.

That last bit is good news: you can come back here anytime for a free rest to get your HP/MP back.



But here goes!!



Here's the world map. I take a few steps...



And I'm attacked by a Kessler! I don't know what a Kessler is, exactly, but here it's basically equivalent to a Dragon Quest Slime. Except hairy. I'll attack it!



It's a bit hard to take iPhone screenshots quickly, so I missed the return attack. Basically it hit me for one hit point. We take turns hitting each other for 1HP for a few rounds, and...



I get one experience point and three gold. Nice! And I'm almost dead. If Apolo hadn't missed a few times I'd have another couple HP, but not enough that taking on another Kessler would be a good idea. Back to town!



I get my health back and buy the best stuff I can afford: A Bronze Sword and Cloth Armor. My attack is more than doubled. My defence is... unchanged? Lame!



With the awesome power of my Bronze Sword, I can kill Kesslers way faster.



This Sickllog gets the jump on me, but I manage to bring it down. I grind around here for a little while, and before you know it:



Sweet! I have no idea what Dong magic is supposed to be. Hopefully not what it sounds like.



My attacks now do 4points minus. Let's give our Dong magic a shot:



The spell effects in this game are sort of underwhelming. The name comes up, then it tells you how much damage you've done (I missed the shot the first time, but it was 6HP). The second shot was kind of a waste of MP: only one point of damage. In Missing Bro the killing blow only does as many hit points of damage as the enemy had left.



I enter a forest to the north.



You can buy a pass at the counter. It costs 800G. Steep? That's not my business. Why don't you sell something if you don't have enough money.

The guy in the building in the forest is kind of a jerk. Still, I know how to outsmart him!



Oh.



The other guy in the building will let you rest for 10G, which for me is still a lot of money. He also operates a shop, which sells the GatePass I need, among other things. Given that the inn is expensive, the 800 for the pass is just absurd. I'd better start looking around. Maybe there's another path or something.



The Mouthorm, aside from being pretty gross, has the ability to heal itself, and gives more money and experience than anything else so far. If I can manage to kill three of them between trips to the inn, I can get some levels here and start (slowly) accumulating money.



Or not. This FaceBug does 9 points of damage in its first hit, and I'm down. Bummer.

Next time: I reload my save!

Comments