Skip to main content

Let's Play Wonder Boy in Monster Land: Round 7



Here we are in Round 7, the Pororo Islands.



Rats are as much of a hassle as ever. This one drops a life heart. Let’s see what’s behind door number one:



It’s a shoe shop. Since I have basically no money, I will not be upgrading my shoes. I actually don’t usually get the Legendary Armor in the Pyramid, so normally there’s a pretty good chance I’ll be getting Legendary Boots at this shop, if not at the one in the Pyramid. I’m pretty sure that if you’ve already got ceramic or legendary boots then this store will sell you wing boots, which are pretty useful in the next area.



I kill the next two RATS and a PYTHON, and pick up two life hearts (which make up for the hits I take) and six gold. Behind door number two:



A magic shop, selling helmets (which double your defence for a while) and fireballs. I don’t really need any more defence at the moment, and I hardly ever buy spells, so I don’t bother buying here.



Darn RATS. But the harp that guy dropped in the last screenshot will push me over 200,000 points, scoring me an extra life heart. Door number three is a bar:



These are pretty mysterious hints. This is the first mention in-game of the Guidance Bell, and it’s not very revealing. Here’s what the manual has to say about the Bell: “Hear it ring so soft so sweet, change directions with your feet.” Right. What about the Echo Tower? Well, I don’t know what an echo tower is. But if we look at the manual’s description of the flute I’m carrying: “Play a tune at a spot with a view, listen now as it comes back to you”. That sounds like I need to take the flute to the echo tower!



Door number four:



For once I’m in decent shape at the nurse’s office, so I leave.



I head across town and see some more RATS. Behind door number five:



The nefarious COIN COLLECTOR.



You guys are lucky to have a skilled guide like me showing you the game. Anyway, this guy is just like the DEATH MASTER back in Round 1, except that he takes more hits to kill, steals gold from you when he hits (note that I had 99G in the first two shots, and 94G in the third), and is assisted by three GHOSTs. GHOSTs are just like EEL WHIPS, except that they take more hits to kill. Way more. They’re worth 30,000 points, according to the manual, and I’m not sure I’ve ever actually taken one out, because it just takes too long.



The fight isn’t too tough, but you can get kind of stuck in the corner since all four enemies move towards you. The upper two GHOSTS stay in the top half of the screen, but can still hit you if you jump carelessly.



I attempt to knock this GHOST back, but I miss.



I take another swing on the ground. This time I connect, but the COIN COLLECTOR closes in and I lose another 5G. At least with my Legendary Armor on I’m only losing a quarter heart to each hit.



A few more hits seal the deal. He gets upset and disappears, then his GHOSTs explode (I guess), and a new sword appears. I was hoping that maybe I’d get 90,000 point for the three GHOSTs, but I guess this doesn’t count as killing them, so I only get 4,000 points for the COLLECTOR (who should give 40,000 according to the manual). I wonder what kind of sword this is?



Nice!



Getting tired of RATS. Here’s the last door in this town:



Hmm.



I ignore Dumbo’s advice and head east, but can go no further!



Heading back west I find a new moving platform. Sadly I missed the shot, but at the top of its movement range a spring appears and you’re thrown into the sky.



This is a good place to have wing boots. Most of the clouds drop money, and if you miss a jump you’ll be taken to the next part of the stage without being able to collect it.



Those scales are not worth pursuing.



There isn’t really a great deal to say about this area. You proceed to the right, collect some cash and kill some EEL WHIPS. Then:



I’m pretty sure you can make this jump in legendary boots, or if you’ve got wing boots. I have neither, so I don’t.



JELLYFISH!



He was asking for it.



SNAPPER CRABs!



They drop some handy power-ups.



Yet another door.



It’s the BLUE KNIGHT! Just like the COIN COLLECTOR earlier in the level, this guy is a pallette swap of an earlier boss, in this case Round 3’s RED KNIGHT. Unlike the COIN COLLECTOR, the BLUE KNIGHT has no extra enemies to complicate the fight, nor a new gimmick like stealing money. It’s just the same fight.



Even having practiced against the RED KNIGHT, I can’t land a hit. In the third shot it looks like I should be taking damage, but thanks to the mantle I picked up off the crabs outside I’m currently invincible.



I start to get my act together.



And that’s it! His damage indicator’s still yellow, but thanks to the gauntlet I’m carrying I can skip the red stage.



From here on in, bosses drop bags of cash instead of coins. Each of these holds 10G.



Awrighty, we’ve got the key, the exit’s off to the left. Let’s get out of here!



Wrong way! But hey, that’s a nice tower. Let’s investigate!



Aww nards. Oh well. I’ll move on.



Dead end! Bollocks. Still, since the EEL WHIPS has chased me over here, I might be able to sneak up the ladder.



Yup. This isn’t a problem with Legendary Boots, which let you jump high enough to hit it with your sword.



This being the south island’s echo tower, Wonder Boy whips out his flute and plays a little tune.



I manage the jump to the first cloud, but there’s nothing up there. The second cloud is too far for leather boots. I’m not sure if it has any cash, but I’m pretty sure that the roof of the boss room does. Too bad I can’t reach it.



Having used the flute, the path past the echo tower is open. There’s a small castle over there. I try to jump on the platform above the door, but am again thwarted by the leather boots. Maybe getting the Legendary Armor first was a bad move.



I kill the EEL WHIPS, but I don’t have time to waste killing GHOSTS.



Here’s our first MINI-RED KNIGHT. The name pretty much says it all. He gets in a hit, and unfortunately I was flashing in the doorknocking screenshot so you can’t see me. But we go in that oddly-placed door.



This is the old man living in a mysterious mansion that Catherine mentioned back in Round 4. He shows me.how to obtain the emblem.



I’m sure there’s some money hidden here, so I jump around for a while looking for it, but no luck.



I take another shot at getting on top of the boss room. Will I succeed?



I will not.



It’s a good idea to clear out the enemies before re-entering the boss room. What’s it contain this time?



Oh. This guy again.



OK, so I take a hit this time, but on the whole my performance is much better. Remember that last time I had a MYSTERIOUS MANTLE and a GAUNTLET. This time I’m only doing regular damage, and I’m not invincible.



I’m back at full health, I got some points, and I’m up 80G.



I don’t get hit leaving the boss room ‘cause I took the time to get the enemies away before I went in. My status isn’t bad. Full health, pretty decent equipment, Charm of Star (the old man gave it to me). Time to leave!



Nice!

Here's the stage map:



I decided to go old school for this one. It's just like back in Rounds 1 and 2! Except it took even longer. You can click on that for a bigger version, or click here for one without the scribbles.

How about that COIN COLLECTOR, eh?



And the BLUE KNIGHT? (I'm flashing because of the MYSTERIOUS MANTLE)



Didn't I fight him twice?



Anyways, tl,dr:



It turns out I kept the materials for the above boss GIFs, allowing me to make these new versions. The originals, like most of the GIFs so far in the LP, had frames dropped, making them run at full speed but reduced frame rate. These ones more accurately reflect what the game looks like in motion.

Next: Round 8

Comments